Introducing DevBox, the evolution of the prototype IDE previously called CloudStudio. This new version represents a substantial refactor, packed with an array of innovative features currently in alpha.
Watch this video and let me know what you think...
Features of DevBox include:
- Enhanced syntax highlighting for ObjectScript classes
- Autocomplete functionality
- Dynamic code explorer
- Import and export support
- Code search across multiple files
- Integrated Code runners
- Integrated Code runners upon compilation with support for continuous unit testing
- A built in Code Assistant that leverages on GPT
- Live CSP preview solution
The primary goal of DevBox is to offer a lightweight, efficient IDE that functions effortlessly behind firewalls, within deeply nested RDP enclaves, and on secured servers.
Our secondary objective is to optimize DevBox for fast-paced development, continual testing, simplified version control, and to facilitate controlled deployments of ObjectScript solutions.
We also have immediate plans to introduce a secondary "connection manager" project, designed to simplify the process of installing and managing DevBox across a multitude of servers.
ZPM Installation Instructions
Install DevBox via ZPM using
Manual Installation Instructions
Step 1 - Download the DevBox installation files to your IRIS server
- Using these two links,
DevBox Class Files
DevBox Web Files
, right click and use "Save Link As" to download and save these files to a temporary location.
Step 2 - Install the DevBox class files
- Decide which namespace you want to install DevBox into.
- Import "DevBox.xml" into that namespace.
Step 3 - Configure the DevBox web application
- Select a folder location where you want to host the DevBox web files from
- Unzip "DevBoxWebFiles.zip" into that folder
- Open a terminal and switch to the install namespace
- In terminal run the following command, passing in the path to that folder.
namespace> do ##class(DevBox.Util.DevBoxInstaller).Install("C:\apps\devbox")
Step 4 - Test the application
- Open a browser and enter the following URL, making sure you replace the host and port to match the host and port of IRIS. You should now have a working DebBox IDE!
Additional Installation Notes
- DevBox can be installed into any namespace. You should avoid using system namespaces, so choose one that you have previously created. Optionally you could create a new namespace just for DevBox, but this is not strictly required.
- There are no restrictions on where you install the web files. You could for instance create a new folder in the base CSP folder of your InterSystems IRIS installation, or just select a location of your choice. The only important aspect is that you accurately pass in the path to this folder into the Install method.
- Make sure you unzip the web files directly into your selected folder. Unzipping files can sometimes create a new child folder, if this happens just move the files directly back into the correct location.
- The install method will create two web applications "/devbox" and "/devboxapi" . The "/devbox" application will be configured to point directly to the web files location that you created.
Where can I find the documentation?
The complete documentation for DevBox is currently in development and will be made available soon.